The Community Events & Engagement Manager is a dynamic, experienced and self-motivated individual with the primary mission of fulfilling the full cycle of event management principles and processes in support of the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. She/he is responsible for: overseeing and delivering all aspects of current and upcoming GVFB events and third-party events, food drives, event volunteers, and general duties including budgeting and hiring and supervising event team leads and the food drives assistant.
This individual must be highly organized, an effective multi-tasker, a go-getter with the ability to work with minimum supervision, and focused on managing all aspects and relationships of a community event -– before, during and after — to ensure an excellent outcome and stewardship of the event host.
She/he has a proven track record with an ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with a large number of internal and external stakeholders, as well as an ability to engage and inspire individuals and volunteers from diverse backgrounds. She/he is results oriented, a team player with an aptitude to learn, has a willingness to contribute, and is the driver for successful results with a passion for making a difference in the community.
- Applies event management principles and processes to fulfil the full activity cycle of events ensuring high standards for all events are met.
- Maintains regular communication with stakeholders (staff, volunteers, donors, community liaisons, etc.) as needed.
- Uses effective project management and computer skills to complete all administrative and data-management tasks associated with event management in a timely fashion, orders swag and keeps the events database (Raiser’s Edge) up-to-date.
- Creates and maintains a detailed event and food drive calendar.
- Acts as the GVFB key contact and liaison for third-party events. Reviews and response to third-party event applications in a timely manner.
- Strategically communicates with potential new stakeholders and partners to design and implement new events for the GVFB that align with our strategy and goals.
- Establishes and provides support to staff and volunteers, as required, to ensure the success of events (e.g., general guidance and support, materials, timelines, processing donations, packaging of food donations, etc.)
- Hires, trains and manages event team leads, supporting them when needed.
- Available to the event team lead and organizers on event day, providing support or troubleshooting as/if needed. In many cases, will be required to attend the event weekends and evenings.
- Represents the GVFB at key events/cheque pickups/thank you’s as required.
- Creates event analysis reports within two weeks following each event, including feedback from the sponsor, event team lead, volunteers and staff, photos, as well as event revenue and expense breakdowns.
- Develops and maintains an events benchmark to measure the ongoing success of events, and revenue targets.
- Works with the CDO to maintain the community events budget
- Hires and manages food drives assistant (seasonal).
- Trains, supervises and supports the food drives assistant to ensure drop-offs and pick-ups of materials and food are done in a timely manner.
- Year round, reviews and responds to food drive applications in a timely manner.
- Strategically reaches out to the community regarding new and potential food drives, or to ensure annual food drives are executed as well as possible.
- Prepares and communicates volunteer requirements and recruitment information for all event-related volunteer positions to the Volunteer Program Coordinator.
- Orients event volunteers and/or the team lead: ensures all event volunteers understand their tasks, who to report to, and are set up to successfully support the event.
- Develops and maintains a yearly community engagement strategic plan.
- Monitors progress against objectives; adjusts plan and manages contingency efforts and resources as required based on the budget.
- Ensures safe handling of all monies and prepares cash donations for deposit.
- Ensures that inventory and collateral are well maintained, stored safely, and orders new supplies when required.
- Works with communications team in advance to ensure the appropriate use of the GVFB brand, the design and messaging of collateral materials, and the timely delivery of event promotions and communications.
- Works with the transportation team to ensure drop-offs and pick-ups of materials and food are done in a timely manner.
- And any other tasks as requested by the CDO.
- Post-secondary education in events management, fundraising, communications, public relations, or equivalent; and/or equivalent combination of training and professional experience
- Three years’ experience in event planning or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing people.
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers.
- Experience handling cash, donations and budgeting.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Familiarity with social media channels.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check and a valid class 5 driver’s license with clean driving abstract.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to handle multiple projects and or events simultaneously.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and as an effective team member.
- Good listener, accepts direction, takes charge.
- A willingness to be photographed and promoted on GVFB channels and brand collateral.
If we sound like an organization you would enjoy working for and you believe you have the required skills and experience, we would love to hear from you!
We are actively recruiting for this role, so time is of the essence to apply if you are keen!
Please include a cover letter along with your resume to: [email protected]
Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent A criminal check is required upon hiring.