- Do you want to make a difference in your community?
- Join us on our mission of building strong, connected communities through the power of food.
- Full-time Temporary Position (Mid November – Mid January)
- Monday to Friday: 7am – 3pm
- $20 p/h + 4% vacation pay
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to build strong, connected communities through the power of food. The GVFB provides assistance to over 28,000 people weekly, 25% of our clients are children, 35% are seniors.
The needs of this community are met through multiple community food hubs, community kitchens, training workshops and partnerships with over 75 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. The GVFB receives, purchases and distributes approximately 4.3 million pounds of food each year.
We are committed to our vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all and through community collaboration and are pro-actively working to help end hunger.
The GVFB is seeking an experienced Driver to join our operations team during our busy seasonal period (Mid-November to Mid-January. In this role, you will handle, move, load and unload goods by hand or with a variety of handling equipment. You will be collecting food from donor locations for delivery to our community food hubs.
- Perform pre-trip inspection of the vehicle to ensure safety and reliability. Fuel trucks at card-lock locations. Report any vehicle issues to the Operations Director;
- Operate and drive vans, light/medium trucks to pick up and deliver food products as scheduled. Organize food in the vans or light trucks to maximize efficiency and load distribution;
- Assist in other areas of the warehouse as required;
- On return to the warehouse; unload the van, weigh goods and record information on the daily record sheet. Put away all returns.
What we look for in a candidate profile:
- 2+ years of safe driving experience;
- Good interpersonal communication skills;
- 1+ years’ experience using industrial forklifts and electric pallet-jacks in racked warehouse facilities advantageous;
- A clean and valid class 5 driver’s license is required.
- Proper safety footwear is required;
- Physically fit and knowledge of proper lifting techniques required to lift up to 50 lbs. on a consistent basis;
- May need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking and climbing stairs during the day;
- Reaching above shoulder height or below the waist
Hours of work:
- Monday to Friday: 7am – 3pm
- $20 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Candidates shortlisted for interview are required to produce a Drivers Abstract and Claims History.
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Only those applicants being considered will be contacted. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
To Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to: [email protected]