Do you want to make a difference in your community?
Help us make our vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all a reality.
Reporting to our Community Engagement Manager, our Event Team Lead (Street Team) is a dynamic, take charge, outgoing and self-motivated individual who works on-call with the primary mission of fulfilling the successful execution of a third-party fund/food raising event in support of the Greater Vancouver Food Bank.
Must be able to work flexible hours – currently weekdays and weekends/daytime hours available.
- $18 per hour with 4% Vacation pay. Increased to $20 per hour after 25 hours of event work is completed.
- Hours will vary by month. Approximately 5 – 15 hours per month.
- This individual will engage and direct volunteers from diverse backgrounds that have been recruited to support the event.
- The Event Team Lead works flexible hours including weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- The Event Team Lead is a brand ambassador representing the Food Bank, and abides by the policies, processes, and agreements as set by the GVFBS.
- The successful candidate will be highly organized, an effective multi-tasker, a go-getter who needs minimum supervision, and focused on delivering an excellent outcome.
- An ability to think out-of-the-box and problem solve on the go is key.
- Well-developed communication skills, discretion, sound judgment, and professionalism are paramount in this service role.
- Familiarizes themselves with the event, and the programs, services, vision and mission of the GVFBS.
- Attends briefings and training as required to ensure the successful execution of an event.
- Responsible for gathering supplies and equipment needed for events, leads the set-up and tear down, and safe return of equipment, food, and money.
- Drives GVFBS branded vehicle to and from events, as required.
- Proactively engages with the event organizers, and the general public at on-site community events, as the GVFBS brand ambassador.
- Responsible for collection of both food and cash donations while on-site at community events.
- Manages and supervises on-site event volunteers, delegates specific tasks to volunteers and ensures adequate training and instructions are provided to volunteers.
- Assists with the day of event social media promotions in coordination with GVFBS Communications Team as needed and takes photos at events.
- Proactively handles any arising issues and troubleshoots any emerging problems on the event day.
- Reports back on the condition of inventory, collateral, and vehicle, and advises to order new supplies when required.
- Provides event feedback, including post-event reports and post-event, thank you as requested.
What we look for in a candidate profile:
- Post-secondary education in events management, fundraising, public relations, retail or customer service and/or equivalent combination of training and professional experience.
- Street team experience an asset.
- Available to work at different locations throughout the GVFBS catchment cities.
- Experience working with and supervising a team of volunteers.
- Must be able to drive branded GVFBS vehicles.
- A willingness to wear branded GVFBS clothing as provided.
- Physical activity is a part of the contract job, including the lifting of boxes (up to 40 pounds), setting up/ dismantling equipment, etc.
- Must be able to work flexible hours – occasionally on short notice.
- BC Class 5 clean driving license
- High energy, outgoing and eager to initiate a conversation with the public.
- Must be able to take initiative and self-manage.
- Independent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work well under deadline pressure.
- A good listener accepts direction and takes charge.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- A willingness to be photographed and promoted on GVFBS entities.
- Ability to contribute to social media entities at events (training provided).
- On-call based on the calendar of events.
- Primary responsibilities are carried out in either indoor or outdoor environments.
- Working under a high degree of pressure on the day of events, the Event Team Lead will ensure that all logistical aspects of events are carried out successfully.
- Physical activity is a part of the job, including the lifting of boxes (up to 40lbs each), setting up/ dismantling equipment, etc.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
If you are open to driving and have a BC Class 5 driving license, you will be required to provide your drivers abstract and claims history.
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring (this is free of charge).
Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.