- Do you want to make a difference in your community?
- Join our team, in our vibrant brand new warehouse.
- Full-time Permanent Position.
- $18.50 per hour.
We provide a modern and inclusive warehouse environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking. Our competitive benefit plans for this position include: healthcare/dental/vision, 3 weeks accrued vacation leave and a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan. Your birthday and a personal day are additional paid days off.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
- Professional Growth – mentoring, professional development courses and conferences.
- Personal Growth – be part of a close and supportive team with strong leadership.
- Community Growth – be able to support and enhance the lives of those in need in your community.
The GVFB warehouse is a bright, spacious and welcoming environment. People notice the “wow” factor when they walk in for the first time and see behind the scenes of our impressive operation. It contains 60,000 cubic feet of coolers and freezers which we have named “Refrigeration Alley” allowing us to receive and distribute a large amount of perishable food donations. The Food Sort Assistant supervises large corporate groups and daily regular volunteers in all functional areas of Food Sort within the warehouse. They are responsible for overseeing fresh, dry and frozen food sort. This also includes outbound fulfillment areas such as our Winston Hub and Community Partner Agencies distribution. Utilizing our increased storage capacity and efficient Food Sort space, we provide an essential service to our clients.
- Manage, assign and review work for volunteers engaged in Food Sort functional areas;
- Ensure functional areas are kept clean, tidy and organized at all times;
- With direction from the Warehouse Operations Manager be accountable and responsible in areas including Fresh and Dry Sort, outbound area fulfillment, Front of House, Agency Cooler, Freezer, bulk shelves, Winston St. Market and kitchen equipment shelves;
- Use the volunteer management software to coordinate and manage corporate volunteer groups and individual volunteers. Promote further engagement with the GVFB volunteer base
- Conduct orientation/training for groups of up to 30 volunteers.
Personal attributes and core skills
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of operation and staff;
- Strong time management skills, be able to prioritize a busy workload;
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal;
- Proven team building skills, be able to provide direction to others;
- Strong conflict resolution skills and diplomacy;
- Be comfortable in speaking in front of and leading groups of up to 30 people.
Qualifications and experience
- Previous experience in warehouse environments;
- Experience using industrial fork lifts/pallet Jacks in racked warehouse facilities;
- Knowledge of office software, includes Word, Excel and Power point is an asset;
- Volunteer leadership certification preferred;
- Experience with Warehouse Management Systems preferred.
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- Proper safety footwear required;
- The ability to walk and stand throughout the shift;
- Bending and lifting boxes up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
Please indicate your interest by submitting your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence