Title: Food Sort Assistants – flexibility in shift allocation
Position Type: Part-time/ Permanent
- 12 hours a week / permanent part-time work
- Flexibility in shift allocation is possible – would fit around schooling
- Shifts we offer vary from: days, weekday evenings (5 to 9 pm) and weekend days
- Key support role for engaging, inspiring and supporting corporate and community volunteers at the GVFB
- Ability to verbally communicate to teams and individuals a must
- A positive energetic and engaging person
- All required training provided on site
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society (GVFBS) is seeking part-time (12 hours per week) Food Sort Assistants to join our team. These positions will engage, inspire, supervise and train corporate and community/individual group volunteers.
The successful candidates will be expected to balance relationship building with corporate and community organizations as well as maintain the operational efficiency and accuracy of product in the warehouse sort areas.
We are looking for exceptional team players with a strong knowledge of the organization’s Vision, Mission, Values and Goals. An aptitude to learn, willingness to contribute, and passion for making a difference in the community.
Working closely with the Order Accuracy Coordinator and the entire Operations team, the Food Sort Team Assistants will:
- Engage corporate and community/individual group volunteers in awareness of the GVFB and its programs through various engagement touch points including orientation, tour, and information sharing.
- Provide orientation, support, supervision and leadership to corporate and community/individual group volunteers, while providing guidance and direction as to tasks and activities to be completed during their schedule.
- Prepare the sorting areas with all tools and equipment required for volunteers to sort food and other donated items successfully and accurately.
- Familiarize volunteers with safety and accuracy protocols, ensuring their comfort and safety in the warehouse.
- Ensure cleaning standards are met and adhere to recycling processes.
- Use SAP Business by Design solution as directed.
- Engage corporate and community/individual group volunteers and connect key contacts with key staff. Communicate and liaise with staff as needed.
- Deliver any other such work duty as requested by the Operations Manager, and supervisor
- Group volunteer and/or facilitation experience.
- Proven track record of successfully working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills with dedicated attention to detail
- Flexible availability and the ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Experience within a not-for-profit environment or the food industry is an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 is an asset
- Physically fit and have the ability to lift up to 50lbs on a consistent basis
- May need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking on a levelled surface throughout the day
- Strong voice delivery as requires on-going information sharing in a warehouse setting.
MISSION: To create empowering environments that provide and promote access to healthy food, education and training.
VISION: Accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all.
VALUES: Accountability, Collaboration, Justice, Respect, Trust.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one Word or PDF file to [email protected]
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.