- Do you want to make a difference in your community?
- Join us on our mission of building strong, connected communities through the power of food.
- Full-time Temporary Position (Mid November – Mid February)
- Monday to Friday: 8.30am – 4.30pm
- $22 p/h + 4% vacation pay
The GVFB is recruiting for a Hubs Assistant to work in our Winston Hub (located at our Burnaby Head Office). This is initially a 3 month contract with potential for permanent employment. 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday with flexibility to work Saturdays as needed.
- Support for volunteers and clients; maintaining a safe space for food distribution, helping to resolve conflict, promoting the GVFB’s respect policy and code of conduct;
- Register clients for food bank service;
- Community referral work helping to connect clients with health, employments and social services;
- Stocking shelves and coolers with grocery items using safe lifting practice;
- Working closely with a dedicated staff team to provide administrative support for Community Food Hubs;
- Ensure the Winston Hub is tidy and clean at all time
What we look for in a candidate profile:
- Ability to model dignity and respect for all people;
- Engaging, welcoming and helpful manner;
- Patience and listening; the ability to lead by example and model behavior even when things become escalated;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (written/oral), including active listening skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail and data entry experience;
- Experience working in volunteer driven environments;
Proven ability to problem solve and takes responsibility to complete tasks in a timely fashion;
- Proficiency in a language other than English considered an asset;
- Ability to multi-task in a busy client facing environment;
- Significant experience working in challenging social environments;
- Team player, willing to go above and beyond to assist others;
- Ability to work as part of an anti-oppression framework with people of diverse cultures, races/ethnicity, socio‐economic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/mental challenges/disabilities, and sexual orientations;
- Courage and a sense of humor.
- Physically fit and knowledge of proper lifting techniques required to lift up to 50 lbs. on a consistent basis;
- May need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking and climbing stairs during the day;
- Reaching above shoulder height or below the waist.
Hours of work:
- Monday to Friday: 8.30am – 4.30pm, with flexibility to work Saturdays in 2020 as required.
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
To Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to: [email protected]