- Do you want to make a difference in your community?
- Join our team, in our vibrant brand new office and warehouse.
- Full-time Permanent Position.
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to provide healthy food to those in need. The GVFB provides assistance to over 27,500 people weekly, 25% of our clients are children and youth, 22% are seniors.
The needs of this community are met through multiple distribution locations, community kitchens, training workshops and partnerships with over 70 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and North Vancouver. The GVFB receives, purchases and distributes approximately 3.5 million pounds of food each year.
The GVFB is committed to a vision of Providing Healthy Food to Those in Need.
We provide a modern and inclusive office environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking. Our competitive benefit plans for this position include: healthcare/dental/vision, 3 weeks accrued vacation leave and a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan. Your birthday and a personal day are additional paid days off.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
- Professional Growth – mentoring, professional development courses and conferences.
- Financial Growth – competitive salary and excellent perks.
- Personal Growth – be part of a close and supportive team with strong leadership.
The Communications Manager works closely with the leadership and development teams to oversee all aspects of the GVFB’s communications and brand. This collaborative, creative communications professional develops and implements our strategic communications plan to reinforce and forward the GVFB brand identity; broaden awareness for it’s programs and priorities; and increase visibility for it’s programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Develop an annual marketing and communication plan that will build awareness for the GVFB;
- Engage in strategic media relations and build relationships with key outlets and reporters;
- Research and write informative and engaging articles/media releases for targeted media, donor communications, and social media posts;
- Oversee website design and ensure content is accurate, informative and well presented;
- Develop compelling marketing collateral and content for a variety of platforms including the website, video, newsletters, social media, direct mail, etc.;
- Develop compelling marketing collateral and content for a variety of platforms including the website, newsletters, social media, direct mail, etc.;
- Enhance the organization’s presence through collaboration and information sharing, while ensuring consistent tone/voice across all internal and external communications channels;
- Work closely with GVFB departments to develop presentation decks that clearly communicate objectives and follow brand guidelines;
- Create, coordinate and monitor digital content in the form of web content, copy-writing, photos, blog posts, social media posts and online discussions/conversations;
- Prepare and maintain communications collateral including media releases, fact sheets, Q&As and backgrounders as needed;
- Act as a liaison between the organization and the media, facilitating media interviews and supporting key spokespeople to ensure they are trained and prepared (releases, pitches, statements, events, social).
Personal attributes and core skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and superior project management and time management;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital/social media; experience delivering communications across all communication channels;
- Polished verbal, written, editorial and organizational skills, as well as excellent communication skills that are consistent across all mediums (online, in print and in person);
- An eye for and working knowledge of photography, copy editing, web and graphic design platforms;
- Consistency, fierce attention to detail and a passion for creating inspiring messages.
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant post-secondary degree or diploma and 5+ years of experience in a public relations, (digital) marketing, communications, or journalism role;
- Fundraising experience and non-profit experience an asset;
- Experience working with a CRM (Raiser’s Edge preferred);
- Proficiency using social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and scheduling tools such as Hootsuite and Buffer;
- Experience with Windows MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign;
- Demonstrated experience in achieving communication plan objectives;
- Clean Class 5 BC driver’s license required;
- Assistance with special events on nights and weekends from time to time will be required.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now with your resume and cover letter if you are keen on this opportunity!
Please indicate your interest by submitting your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.