Is it possible to volunteer without a face mask?
Please note that at this time we require all of our volunteers to wear non-medical masks or face shields for the entire duration of the assigned shift. If you have a medical condition where you have trouble breathing and cannot wear a mask, please email us prior to signing up for a shift: [email protected].
How do I register to become a volunteer?
Click here and you will be directed to My Impact, our volunteer database, where you can create a profile with your details.
After registration, you will be able to see what volunteer activities are currently available in your opportunity calendar.
Currently, we do not require our volunteers to attend an in-person orientation, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We do have an online orientation we encourage you to watch, it can be found here.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
We require all volunteers to be at least 14 years of age to volunteer at our warehouse and at least 18 years old to volunteer at our distribution sites.
If you are 14-17 years old you will need to have written consent from a parent or guardian prior to arriving for your shift. If you are under 14 years of
Please note that if you are below 18 years of age and do not bring a completed consent form with you for your first shift, you will not be able to work the shift.
What is the time commitment?
Most of our volunteer positions require 1 shift a week for a minimum of 2 months. This helps our volunteers to become familiar with the work they are doing and saves our staff time from needing to conduct new training each shift. We appreciate all of your time, effort and commitment!
Can I drop in to volunteer without having registered?
Unfortunately no. Prior to starting to volunteer with us, we require all interested individuals to register with our volunteer management software My Impact. After filling out the online form we will send you an email and you will be able to view all the available shifts.
How can I book in to volunteer as a group?
What can I expect when I volunteer?
Firstly to have lots of fun! You will be able to have a first-hand experience of everyday life at GVFB and see what we do. A welcome and safety briefing is part of every volunteer orientation at the beginning of the shift.
Covid-19 health and safety precautions:
Please note that we require all of our volunteers to wear a face mask and gloves during every volunteer shift. We do provide all of the PPE materials and hand sanitizer. Further details will be emailed to you prior to your shift, along with a health and safety questionnaire you are required to review.
Will I receive a reference for volunteering?
We are more than happy to provide you with a reference letter if you completed 80 hours of volunteering. Due to the high demand for reference requests, we are unable to provide this to anyone who has not reached the 80 hours mark. We do not provide verbal references or complete external reference forms.
How is the GVFB keeping their volunteers safe during the pandemic?
The health and safety of our volunteers, clients and staff are of the greatest importance to us. We have taken the following precautions to ensure that everyone feels comfortable:
- We decreased the number of volunteers in our warehouse and at our distribution. Everyone is required to physically distance during the shift to follow the recommendations of health authorities.
- We provide face masks and gloves for our volunteers.
- Every volunteer is required to wear gloves and a facemask during their shift.
- There is a volunteer orientation at the beginning of each shift, where a staff member will go over the safety procedures.
- If you do not feel well at any time before, during or after the shift, please let a GVFB staff member know.
- We have increased sanitation of high-touch areas, which are sanitized with bleach water every hour.
- All of our volunteers are required to fill out GVFB Volunteer Covid-19 questionnaire on the day of their scheduled shift, before they come in to one of our sites
Do you have a volunteer shift cancellation policy?
Yes. Should you need to cancel your scheduled shift, we require 24 hours’ notice so that we have an opportunity to fill your shift.
- Please cancel your shift on your Better Impact profile as this is the quickest and most efficient way.
- If you are unable to access your Better Impact profile please contact our Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator by email: [email protected] or phone: 604.880.7073.
- If you are unwell on the morning of your shift, even if it’s within the 24-hour window please do let us know ASAP and adjust your upcoming volunteering schedule in Better Impact accordingly.
- We would be delighted to have you come and volunteer with us and appreciate that unexpected situations come up, however we do require this communication.
Repeated volunteer no-shows
- If there are 2 “no-shows” where you have not provided 24 hours’ notice to cancel your volunteer shift, we will de-activate your profile on Better Impact and you will not be able to sign up for future volunteer shifts.
- This is to ensure the Greater Vancouver Food Bank can continue to operate at a level that meets the needs in our communities.
- If you are unwell on the day of your shift you will not be penalized.