Want to make a difference in your community? Join our team and help us make our vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all a reality.
- Full-time, permanent position
- Salary: $18.50 /hour with vacation pay
- Benefits include full extended medical and dental
- Availability to work Monday – Friday (with Saturday shifts as required)
- Shift flexibility: 11am – 7pm, 12pm – 8pm, 8am – 4pm
- Key support role for engaging, inspiring and supporting staff, corporate and community volunteers at the GVFB
- Ability to verbally communicate to teams and individuals a must
- A positive, energetic and engaging team player
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society (GVFBS) is seeking a Food Sort Facilitator to join our awesome team.
The successful candidate will balance relationship-building with corporate and community organizations, as well as maintain the operational efficiency and accuracy of product in the warehouse sort areas.
A team player with an aptitude to learn, willingness to contribute, and passion for making a difference in the community.
Working closely with the Operations team, the Food Sort Facilitator will be responsible for:
- Engaging and directing corporate and community/individual group volunteers in awareness of the GVFB and its programs through various engagement touch points including orientation, tour, and information sharing.
- Providing support, leadership, guidance and direction for tasks and activities to be completed during their schedule.
- Prepare the sorting areas with all tools and equipment required for volunteers to sort food and other donated items successfully and accurately.
- Familiarize volunteers with safety and accuracy protocols, ensuring their comfort and safety in the warehouse.
- Ensure cleaning standards are met and adhere to recycling processes.
- Engage corporate and community/individual group volunteers and connect key contacts with key staff. Communicate and liaise with staff as needed.
- Deliver any other such work duty as requested by the Food Sort Supervisor, and supervisor
- Group volunteer and/or facilitation experience.
- Proven track record of successfully working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with dedicated attention to detail
- Computer skills, to accurately enter inventory and schedule shifts.
- Strong voice delivery and comfortable speaking to small and large groups of volunteers.
- Flexible availability and the ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Experience within a not-for-profit environment or the food industry is an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 and First Aid certificate is an asset.
- Physically fit and have the ability to lift up to 50lbs on a consistent basis.
- Be able to stand and walk around for the majority of your shift.
About the Greater Vancouver Food Bank
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to empower people to nourish themselves by providing access to healthy food, education, and training. The GVFB provides assistance to over 27,500 people weekly, 25% of our members are children, and 35% are seniors.
The needs of this community are met through multiple distribution locations, community kitchens, training workshops and partnerships with over 75 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and North Vancouver. The GVFB receives, purchases and distributes approximately 3.5 million pounds of food each year.
The GVFB is committed to its vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all and through community collaboration, is pro-actively working to help end hunger.
Please email your resume along with a cover letter to: [email protected] outlining your interest in this position.
A criminal check is required upon hiring.