Want to make a difference in your community? Join our team and help us make our vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all a reality.
- Full-time, permanent position
- Availability to work Monday – Saturday (max of 5 days in a week)
- Shifts vary: 11am – 7pm, 12pm – 8pm, 8am – 4pm. (Saturday shift daytime only, when required)
- Key support role for engaging, inspiring and supporting corporate and community volunteers
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is seeking a Sort Assistant to join our awesome team!
The successful candidate will balance relationship-building with corporate and community organizations, as well as maintain the operational efficiency and accuracy of product in the warehouse sort areas.
A team player with an aptitude to learn, willingness to contribute, and passion for making a difference in the community.
Working closely with the Operations team, the Sort Assistant will be responsible for:
- Engaging and directing corporate and community/individual group volunteers in awareness of the GVFB and its programs through various engagement touch points including orientation, tour, and information sharing.
- Providing support, leadership, guidance and direction for tasks and activities to be completed during their schedule.
- Preparing the sorting areas with all tools and equipment required for volunteers to sort food and other donated items successfully and accurately.
- Familiarizing volunteers with safety and accuracy protocols, ensuring their comfort and safety in the warehouse.
- Ensure cleaning standards in the sort areas are met and adhere to recycling processes.
- Group volunteer and/or facilitation experience.
- Proven track record of successfully working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with dedicated attention to detail.
- Computer skills, to accurately enter inventory and schedule shifts.
- Strong voice delivery and comfortable speaking to small and large groups of volunteers.
- Flexible with shift availability and the ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Experience within a not-for-profit environment or the food industry is an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 and First Aid certificate an asset.
- Physically fit and have the ability to lift up to 50lbs on a consistent basis.
- Be able to stand and walk around for the majority of your shift.
Please email your resume along with a cover letter to: [email protected] outlining your interest in this position. A criminal check is required upon hiring.
Salary: $17.00 /hour