Community kitchens build community as participants establish and nurture friendships, increase their food and nutritional knowledge as well as their culinary skills.
About Community Kitchens
Community kitchens can bring people together at community centres, neighbourhood houses, apartment buildings or hotel common rooms, schools, people’s homes…anywhere there is a kitchen and a space to eat!
WHAT IS A COMMUNITY KITCHEN?
A community kitchen is a group of individuals who:
- meet regularly to cook and eat healthy, nutritious meals together
- are encouraged to participate to the best of their abilities in menu selection, shopping, preparation, cooking and cleaning up
- most importantly, have an interest in eating and sharing simple delicious meals
Good nutrition plays a key role:
- participants are introduced to new foods that contribute to a more balanced diet
- participants share and learn new recipes that contribute to healthier eating practices
- in many community kitchens, meals are often taken home and frozen for later, thus furthering healthier eating habits
OUR COMMUNITY KITCHEN WORK
GVFB offers a continuum of community kitchen support from facilitating community kitchens to offering training and support to individuals and community agencies in their efforts to start and maintain community kitchens.
Our Front-line Community Kitchens
- GVFB facilitates and supports 26 community kitchens in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) with a focus of offering an alternate method to obtain food in a self-directed and dignified manner
- Community kitchens offer a social outlet as well as a skill-building arena
- Through community kitchens, single room occupancy (SRO) hotel residents gain the confidence and community connections that help feed their stomachs and their souls
- As a result they become less isolated and feel more connected due to their participation and contribution
- In the DTES, we assist SRO hotels in developing their own community kitchens, providing them with much-needed equipment and training support
Our Community Kitchen Training and Support
GVFB trains and supports community kitchen facilitators. We offer:
- Train-the-trainer workshops on topics such as community kitchen leadership and up-to-date safe canning practices
- Networking sessions for community kitchen facilitators to meet and share ideas
- An equipment donation program, in which we accept donated equipment in good working condition which we in turn provide to community kitchens
- An online library of resources and information for community kitchens